The City Council is committed to good government and serving the best interests of everyone who calls Grandville home for their family or business. As evidence of this commitment, the Council has drafted an ethics policy to guide and remind current and future elected officials of the responsibilities that come with public service. The policy highlights integrity, fairness, transparency, communication and respect.
The full text of the Policy can be viewed here: a policy relative to ethics
Public comments and suggestions on the proposed policy are encouraged
Comments can be received via the following ways:
Email – Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Letter -Mail to Attn: Ethics Policy, 3195 Wilson Ave SW, Grandville MI 49418
By Phone – Call 616-531-3030 to leave a voice message
In Person - directly during public comment at the April 25 or May 9 City Council meetings.
visit City Hall anytime during normal business hours.
In order to provide for the good government and welfare of the people of the City of Grandville, members serving on the Grandville City Council will:
- Adhere to their Oath of Office committing to support the Constitution of the United States, the Constitution of the State of Michigan, the Charter and Ordinances of the City of Grandville and to faithfully discharge the duties of the office of Council Member.
- Serve the best interests of the people and continually improve the City’s ability to serve the community.
- Demonstrate by word and action the highest standards of ethical conduct and integrity in order to merit the trust and respect of the public. Public office being a public trust, an elected official shall not leverage his or her position for personal gain or benefit.
- Handle all matters with fairness and impartiality, without discrimination, on the basis of principle and justice.
- Commit to an open and transparent governance as essential to democratic local government and remain accountable to the community when making and implementing decisions.
- Keep the community informed on City affairs; encourage communication between the citizens and the Council; emphasize professional and courteous service to the public and seek to improve the quality and image of the City.
- Resist any encroachment on each other’s responsibilities, believing that each Council member should be free to carry out their duty without undue interference. Treat fellow Council members, City staff and residents with respect.
- Affirm the dignity and worth of local government services and maintain a deep sense of social responsibility as a trusted public servant. Refrain from all activities that undermine the public’s confidence.