Proceedings to recover possession of premises and/or obtain a money judgment for past-due rent are heard in the district court where the premises are located.

To begin this process, the landlord must first serve on the tenant a Notice to Quit.  After the required time has passed on the Notice to Quit, the landlord may then file a complaint with the appropriate district court, paying the applicable filing fees to initiate the case.  The complaint must then be served on the tenant.  The complaint will instruct the tenant to appear in court for a hearing.

On the day of the hearing, the Judge will hear testimony from the landlord and tenant.

  • If an agreement is reached, the terms will be placed on the record.
  • If an agreement is not reached, the case may be scheduled for further proceedings.
  • If the tenant fails to appear, a default judgment may enter.

If an entered judgment is not paid and/or the tenant is still in possession of the premises after the given time period (usually ten days), the landlord may seek a Writ of Eviction from the court.

Common forms you may need to proceed with a landlord/tenant matter follow.  If you do not see what you need below, visit the State Court Administrator's Office District Court Forms page for more options.  For questions specific to filing in the 59th District Court-Grandville, contact the court office at (616) 538-9660.