59th District Court

How do I pay a fine/ticket?

You may pay a fine/ticket by:

  • Cash – if payment is made in person
  • Personal Check (no out-of-state checks or starter checks)
  • Money Orders
  • Credit card – most major cards accepted
For more information, see the Traffic Division page or the Credit Card Payments page.
Can I get married at the 59th District Court?
Yes, you may get married at the 59th District Court if either the Bride or Groom is a resident of Walker or Grandville. For more information, see the Marriages page.
Where do I find information about Small Claims Court?
To find out about Small Claims Court, click here: Small Claims
What happens when I am sentenced to Probation?
When you are sentenced to Probation, a Probation officer is assigned to your case. The Officer helps to aid the offender in compliance the specific requirements or conditions ordered by the Judge. For more information about Probation, see the Positive Probation Experience page.


How can I find out my Assessed Value of my property?
To find the Assessed Value of your property by using an online database, click here: Assessing Information. For more information, see the Property Information page.
What paperwork do I need to file for a "Homestead" (also known as a Principal Residence Exemption) on my property?
All paperwork and forms necessary to file for a Principal Residence Exemption can be found on our Assessing Forms page. For more information, call our Assessor at (616) 530-4979 or see our Assessor page.

City Clerk

What is required for a new business license?
All businesses must be registered with the City and will be provided a license. There is an initial fee, and licenses are renewed annually at no cost. For business license forms, visit the Clerk Forms page. For more information, see the Licenses & Permits page.
How do I register to vote?
You may register to vote at the City Clerk's office, at the Secretary of State branch office, or through mail-in registration if you are 18 years of age and a citizen of the United States. See the Voter Registration page for more information.
Where can I find the minutes and agendas for City Council meetings?
The City of Grandville provides an online archive of City Council agendas and minutes. Visit the City Council Agendas & Minutes page for the most recent Agenda and searchable minutes and agendas. For more information about the City Council, such as meeting dates, click here: City Council.
How do I apply to be on a Board or Commission?
You may apply for a Board or Commission with the appropriate form from the Clerk Forms section and submit your form to the City Clerk's office. See the Boards & Commissions page for more information about a particular board.

City Manager

Can I set up a meeting to talk with the City Manager/Assistant City Manager?
Click HERE to learn more about the process for handling complaints with your video/cable television provider.

The City Manager's office has an open door policy; if the City Manager/Assistant is in the office and is available, you may meet with him at your convenience. You may schedule meetings with the City Manager's office by calling 616-530-4983.

Community Development


What is the zoning classification for my property?
To determine your current zoning classification you can follow the directions on the REGIS IMS page. REGIS IMS provides a great deal of information for all of Kent County.
How do I make an application to the Planning Commission for site plan approval, special land use approval or rezoning?
Application forms for site plan, special land use and rezoning requests are all found under the form section of this department. Fees can be found under the Schedule and Fee section.
How do I make a zoning complaint?
You can call (616) 530-4983 or send an email. Your complaint needs to include the specific issue, the address or location that needs to be investigated, and your name and phone number.
What is the difference between a Permitted Use and a Special Land Use?
A Permitted Use is a use that is allowed by right in specific zoning districts. Special Land Uses are allowed if they meet certain standards, as determined by the Planning Commission. Both types of uses must meet all respective requirements of the Zoning Ordinance and receive approval by the Planning Commission.
What is a Zoning Ordinance?
A Zoning Ordinance regulates and restricts the use of land and structures for appropriate matters such as residential, commercial and industrial uses. Zoning Ordinances are created and modified through actions of the City Council.
What is a Master Plan?
Master Plans are documents developed by the community and the Planning Commission for long term land use and facilities planning. This plan serves as the guiding document for zoning of property and the language in a Zoning Ordinance.
How do I apply for a Sign Permit?
All permitting is contracted out to Professional Code Inspections.  For more information about signs permits, visit our Building & Sign permit page. Sign requirements can be found in the Zoning Ordinance. Fees are based on the size of the sign and are currently $1 per square foot.

Zoning Board of Appeals

Why do I have to pay a fee for this request?
The filing fee pays for staff time to review an application, prepare a notice and mail the notice to all properties within 300 feet of the applicant address.
What are my chances for a successful ZBA application?
The ZBA reviews each application based on its own merits. However, the standards that have to be met in order to receive a variance are high. Most applications are not successful.
If my neighbors support my application will it be approved?
The ZBA receives comments from the public during the public hearing; however, decisions are based on whether the standards are met.
How long is a variance good for?
Variances are good in perpetuity. Also, variances apply to the property and are not lost or moved if the person who received the variance moves.

Fire Department

How do I get a copy of a fire or medical report and is there a fee?

You or your insurance company can request a fire report in person or by mail, including a self addressed stamped envelope.  You will need to provide the date, approximate time and location of the incident.

Medical reports are released only with proper identification or a signed release, subpoena or court order. Please refer to our Privacy Policy (Click here to read the policy) or call our office (616-530-6211) for details.

There is a $5.00 charge for copies of any reports.

When can I get my child safety seat installed / inspected and do you give seats away?
Child safety seat installations/inspections are available by appointment only. You may schedule an appointment by calling the Fire office at (616) 530-6211. There is no charge for the inspections. Child safety seats are not given away. If certain requirements are met, they may be available at a reduced cost through Greater Grand Rapids Safe Kids Coalition. Call (616) 391-7233 for more information.
How do I arrange for a tour of the fire station?
Tours are available for groups of all ages. Contact our office at (616) 530-6211 to arrange your tour.
Why did you open the fire hydrants near my house today? Isn't that a waste of water?

Our personnel are out "flushing" the fire hydrants throughout the city during the warm months.  While this may appear to be wasteful, it serves two purposes:

  • The fire department uses these flushes as a test for the hydrants that, thankfully, are seldom used. It also provides us with an opportunity to check for any damage that may have occurred and to keep the hydrants in the best working condition possible.
  • The public works department uses the flushing as a means to keep sediment from building up in the water mains. The flushing also removes any contaminants that may have entered the mains due to breaks or other problems.

Human Resources

What job opportunities are available?
To view our job opportunities available, check the Human Resources page. You can find an employment application on the Human Resources Forms page.
Where do I send a resume for an available position?

Unless otherwise directed on a job posting, send all resumes and employment applications to:

  • Grandville City Hall
  • Attn: Human Resources
  • 3195 Wilson Ave SW
  • Grandville MI 49418

Human Resources contact information: Fax: (616) 530-6224, Ph: (616) 530-4971


What are the hours of the police department?
Business hours are Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; closed major holidays.  The Grandville Police Department provides service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For non-emergency/after hours services, call (616) 538-6110. For emergencies, always dial 9-1-1.
I received a traffic violation in the City of Grandville, where do I go to pay the ticket?
The instructions are on the ticket. The 59th District Court address is 3161 Wilson Avenue SW, Grandville, MI 49418 or call 616-538-9660.  Any checks must be made out to the 59th District Court, not the Grandville Police Department. The tickets become the property of the District Court once the violation has been issued.
Where do I get an application for a concealed pistol license (CPL)?
You can get a copy of the Kent County application from the Grandville Police Records window or get one from the Kent County Clerk's office.  All CPL's are handled through the county clerk in the jurisdiction of where you live.  The Grandville Police Department does not issue CPL's, nor fingerprints for those applications.
How do I get my handgun registered?
You must be 18 years old to buy a pistol from a private seller.  Make sure the seller has the pistol legally registered to them.  If you are buying from a private seller, and you do not have a CPL, then you can go to any police department to get a Permit to Purchase.  It is always quicker to go to the police department in the jurisdiction of where you live.  Permits are not always given the same day; it can sometimes take a week or more for background checks to be done.  When you receive your permit we will explain what you need to do to get your pistol registered.  If you are at least 21 years old you can directly purchase pistols from big box type stores, as they do the background checks on sight.  They will give you a small white form that you take to the police department in whose jurisdition you reside.  Do not mail that form to Michigan State Police.
I have a Grandville mailing address. Does that mean I live in the City of Grandville?
Not necessarily--Many people assume because they have a Grandville mailing address that they live in the City of Grandville. The United States Postal Service establishes mailing areas based upon their local post offices.  Some people that have a Grandville mailing address actually live outside the City of Grandville. Grandville Public School District boundaries are not the same as the Grandville city limits. Many people that live in the Grandville Public School District also live outside the City of Grandville. It is important that you understand what governmental agency serves the area in which you live.
The job I have applied for requires that I be fingerprinted. How do I get this done?
Most fingerprints are submitted electronically (Livescan). The cost for a Grandville City resident is $64.00 and $69.00 for a non-resident. Fees are non-refundable. We accept cash or personal check payable to the City of Grandville; no debit/credit cards. You must bring a valid Michigan drivers license or Michigan ID card with the correct address, and the paperwork from the requesting agency containing the agency identification number and purpose code.  Fingerprints are usually done 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.  We cannot do ink prints.
How do I get a copy of an accident report and is there any fee?
All accident reports are entered into the State of Michigan database.  You may request a copy of your accident report online at hhtps://policereports.lexisnexis.com//search/.  You will need to provide the state, city, and report number.  There is a fee of $12.00 for the report.
Who can have accident reports?
Accident reports are released to the owner of the vehicle, driver, passenger or insurance company.
How do I get a bicycle license?
Bicycle licenses are available at the Grandville Police Department Monday – Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm. You must have the make, size, color, and serial number. There is no charge for Grandville residents to register their bicycles.
How do I make arrangements to have my automobile child seat safety inspected?
Personnel at the Grandville Fire Department have been specially trained to provide this service. Frequently, child seat safety inspections are offered around the community. The inspections are part of a number of projects provided by the Greater Grand Rapids Safe Kids Coalition. The Grandville Fire Station is one of two permanent inspection sites in Kent County. You may call the Fire Department to schedule an appointment. The inspections are offered on every other Thursday. There is no cost for the inspection.
How do I get a copy of a police report and is there a fee?
The release of police reports is covered under both federal and state Freedom of Information Acts (FOIA). Those acts describe the procedures for the release. You can fill out a FOIA request form for a public record.  You can get this form on the City website, form link, or pick one up in person at the Grandville Police Department.  The Grandville Police Department has five business days in which to respond to your request. They may notify you if additional time is needed. There are some situations where information may not be immediately available.  Sometimes personal information such as name, address, phone number, date of birth, etcetera may be removed before the copies are provided to you.  If there are fees associated with your request, you will be notified prior to your request being granted.  A fee schedule is available on the City website.
When should I call 9-1-1?
9-1-1 should be used for any emergency. This would include reporting a fire, an injury, a crime in progress, or any concern that demands immediate attention. Non-emergency, minor incidents or inquiries should use the non-emergency number, (616) 538-6110. When in doubt, dial 9-1-1.
Can I make a left-hand turn on a red light at one of those "Michigan turns" on Rivertown Parkway?
You may make a left turn after stopping for the red light and yielding to traffic on Rivertown Parkway.


Where should I send any mail?

All mail should be sent to the Grandville address:

  • 59th District Court
  • Probation Department
  • 3161 Wilson Ave. SW
  • Grandville, MI 49418

*If you know your case number, please include it on the letter/form/payment etc.

Are all probation appointments held in Grandville?
YES - unless you have been specifically instructed by your Probation Officer to report in Walker.
Where do I make payment for fines and costs?
All fines and costs are to be paid in the city which the offense occurred. If Grandville then in Grandville, if Walker then in Walker. See the Fines and Costs(link to 2.9.4) page for more specific information.
Where do I pay the probation oversight fees?
All probation oversight fees are paid in the City of Grandville regardless if your offense occurred in Walker. The reason for this is that the main Probation Office is in Grandville and all accounting for Probation is run through the Grandville court clerk's office.

Public Works

When is Spring Cleanup?
Spring Cleanup is typically the 2nd weekend in May. The Department of Public Works is open to accept electronics for recycling, yard waste, appliances, and other various items. For more specific information and dates, visit the Spring Cleanup page.
When does Leaf Pickup begin?
Curbside Leaf Pickup typically starts the 3rd Monday in October and lasts for a month. Leaves must be in City of Grandville bags in order to be picked up. Loose leaves can be dropped off at the Department of Public Works starting in the end of September. For more specific information and dates, visit the Leaf Pickup page.
How do I get help from Public Works after hours?
If you have an emergency after hours, such as a sewer backup or water service break, call the non-emergency Police Department line at (616) 538-6110. The Police Department will contact the on-call Department of Public Works worker to provide service for your emergency.
How can I reserve the shelters at the parks?
Wedgwood Park has a shelter available for reservation. To reserve the facilities at the park, contact the Department of Public Works at (616) 538-1990.


How do I pay a utility bill?
There are multiple ways available to pay a utility bill; payment can be made in person, by drop box in the City's parking lot, automatic deductions from a bank account, and online payments via bank account, Credit card or Debit card. For more information, see the Utility Billing Information page.
How do I pay a tax bill?
There are multiple ways available to pay a tax bill; payment can be made in person, by drop box in the City's parking lot, and online payments via bank account, Credit card or Debit card. For more information, see the Property Tax Information page.

Clean Water Plant

Can I tour the Clean Water Plant?
Yes! Plant tours can be taken by individuals or groups. The timing of these tours however, may be limited by weather, plant construction, staffing requirements or operational conditions. For further information regarding plant tours, please call (616) 457-0720 or visit our Clean Water Plant page.