Citizen Complaint Information
It is the policy of the Grandville Police Department to investigate ALL complaints filed against its employees or department policies and procedures. If you wish to file a complaint against one of our employees, you have two options in which to file your complaint. 

Option 1
Please call (616)538-6110 and explain that you have a concern about an employee's actions. Your call will be directed to the Sergeant or Senior Officer on duty at the time. There may be times when a supervisor is able to explain actions taken to the satisfaction of the citizen, thus resolving the concern at that level. If the issue requires more in-depth investigation, it will be forwarded from the Sergeant or Senior Officer to Command staff for follow-up and further action.

Option 2
You may also use the below form to initiate your complaint.





Appeal Process Information
You will be notified in writing of the final disposition of your complaint when the investigation is complete. If you do not agree with the outcome, you may appeal the decision to the Chief of Police. To schedule this, you may contact the department assistant via email  Email-icon

If after a review by the Chief of Police, you are still not satisfied with the final disposition, you may file an appeal with the City Manager at (616)531-3030.